Thursday, August 12, 2010

Does Hair Need Oxygen To Grow?

For years my edges were gone, bald around the perimeter. I have worked hard on growing my hair back around the edges. I have tried every thing on the market. Some products produced some peach fuzz, only to fall out again and again. I was forced to wear any style that would hide my hairline. I finally researched every thing that had to do with thin edges, balding edges, alopecia, traction alopecia and hair loss. After much research, and many failed products, i finally decided to make my own concoctions for my hair loss problem. I'm happy to report my edges are almost full after 5 years. I thought i was doing well with my growing back the edges. I always made sure i wore protective styles and covered my hair with a satin scarf, 24/7, lol. One day my bf (i didn't know he was a genius, lol) just looked at me with my scarf on in the house and said "How do expect your hair to grow if you never let it get any oxygen?" Whoa, talk about a light bulb moment !!! Every cell in our body thrives off of oxygen. Why not your scalp which produces the hair? OMG, so now when i'm at home and just sitting around or on the computer. I don't cover my head, and since doing that. I can see my edges filling in more. So Sistas. Do you think we cover our hair too much and wear too many hairstyles that constrict hair growth?

15 comments:

  1. Wow, that does make sense. I never thought of it that way and am guilty of wearing my scarf around the house. My edges are thickening but maybe I should try this. Thanks for the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Blessed Tresses,
    Your welcome. It was like a light bulb went off when my bf mentioned it :o)

    fefe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, can you give us in detail what your concoction consisted of. I would like to try it on my balding spots as well.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. @anonymous,
    Thanks for inquiring. My products will be for sale soon. Please check back :o)

    fefe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Fefe,

    I remember many years ago my old stylist told my cousin that she shouldn't walk around in a scarf and doobie wrap while in the house. That her hair needed to "breathe" and not letting it do so would cause slow growth and breakage. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tee,
    I know right? Sometimes you think you're doing the right thing, then you find out what you're doing may hinder your progress. This hair stuff is a mess sometimes, lol

    fefe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely guilty of covering my hair too much! I notice that if I keep my silk wrap on too long my scalp itches a lot more!

    http://linkalinks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Linka,
    My scalp itches more too when i keep the scarf on, lol
    I'm off to your blog :o)

    fefe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi fefe,
    Here to support you. I really like your blog site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had noticed when ever I wore my hat in the summer that close to the end of summer my hairline would look thinner. I agree our scalp needs to breath.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol, i don't use hat or wig. And i thought about it yesterday myself but i wanted to make sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a boy with long hair and I am going to post the only way to have healthy looking hair is to make sure oxygen blows to your hair eat healthy food and milk water and most of all apply natrul olive oil to your hair but make sure you apply it very gently and rub all around the head and it should be at least 1 a month

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just FYI hair does not need external oxygen to "breathe".. This is based on actual scientific facts. You can check this out for more details: http://www.healthcentre.org.uk/hair-transplants/hair-transplants-myths.html
    Letting your hair relax is good practice, but not required to supply "oxygen" to your hair or to let your hair "breathe"
    Hope this helps. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's true your hair does not need "breathe". Hair receives oxygen from our blood. We breathe through our noses. Not through our scalp! There is however a good reason to not wear scarves or hats frequently. According to my dermatologist your hair can get caught in the fibers and pull the hair out. Scarves and hats also put tension on the hairline if it is too tight.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :o)