Did you know there were so many types of split ends? Splits can occur anywhere along the hair shaft, not just ends, but most splits do occur on the ends of the hair more frequently.
What are some of the causes?
1. Dryness- dryness is the enemy of all hair not only does it cause splits, it causes breakage as well
2. Weathering- the ends are the oldest part of the hair and overtime weathering causes ends to get thinner and weaker
3. Over manipulation- too much combing, brushing, overstyling will eventually weaken hair strands and may contribute to splitting.
4. Wrong comb/brush/utensils- combs that are not meant for textured hair snag, pull and tangle our delicate hair contributing to splits, also brushes and other hair utensils used inproperly all contribute to splits.
5. heat- Overuse of heat weakens and dries out hair also contribute to splits. Ex : flat irons, blowdryers and curling irons
6. wrong hair products/chemicals- products that do not provide slip or strength to the hair are potential contributors for splits. Improper use of chemicals will damage and weaken hair, eventually causing splits.
What Can Be Done? :
Unfortunately nothing can be done once a split has occurred. The split hair must be trimmed, or it will continue to split. Proper hair care will keep the splits at bay. Moisture & Protein balance and trimming splits will improve overall health of the hair, minimizing splits.
These are my opinions!!! What are yours?